What’s the Deal with Hard Water in Edmonton?
In 2000, the City of Edmonton ended its practice of softening the water supply. Today, if Edmonton homeowners want to enjoy the benefits of soft water, they must take the initiative to have a water softener installed themselves.
With that in mind, here are a few questions you might have about hard water and the perks of getting a water softening system.
What is water hardness?
Water hardness refers to the amount of magnesium, calcium and other minerals dissolved in water. These elements generally leach into the water supply when it flows through areas of limestone or chalk.
The hardness level of water is measured in grains per gallon (gpg) and milligrams per litre (mg/L). Water hardness is classified as follows:
- Soft: 0 to 1 gpg or 0 to 17.1 mg/L
- Slightly hard: 1 to 3.5 gpg or 17.1 to 60 mg/L
- Moderately hard: 3.5 to 7 gpg or 60 to 120 mg/L
- Hard: 7 to 10 gpg or 120 to 180 mg/L
- Very hard: 10+ gpg or 180+ mg/L
Is Edmonton’s water hard?
The water hardness level of Edmonton’s tap water is around 9.6 gpg or 165 mg/L. Based on the standard classification, it’s considered hard. However, this level of hardness isn’t unusual for the province.
In fact, the water in most other major cities in Alberta qualifies as very hard. In Calgary, the water hardness level ranges from 11.6 to 15.1 gpg (116 to 216 mg/L). In Red Deer, the hardness level is 12.9 gpg (220 mg/L).
Is hard water bad for you?
The excess minerals in hard water can give the water a foul odour and unpleasant taste. Other negative effects can include:
- Mineral deposits around plumbing fixtures, which can affect water flow
- Scaling in pipes and appliances, which can reduce their lifespan
- White spots on glasses and dishes
- Itchy, dry skin and damaged hair
Additionally, a layer of film can build up on your clothing since soap doesn’t lather as well in hard water.
What are the benefits of a water softening system?
There are many advantages to having soft tap water in your home, including:
- Cleaner, better tasting and better smelling water
- Healthier, softer skin and hair
- Shinier dishes
- Cleaner and softer clothes
- Increased lifespan of piping, fixtures and appliances
Finally, having a water softener installed in your home can save you money in the long run since your plumbing and appliances will last longer.
WE PROVIDE Water Softener Installation in Edmonton
Modern Air & Water sells and installs quality water softeners in Edmonton. Our experienced technicians can also help you determine which water softening system best suits your needs and budget. Contact us today for more information or a free estimate.